Welcome to the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
Welcome to UConn's Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering (CBE). Chemical engineering is a fascinating, exciting, and challenging field. Indeed, chemical engineers are often called "universal engineers" because of breadth of knowledge and understanding they are require to have. Our students work in a wide variety of areas. Industries in which chemical engineers are making an impact in include petrochemical/oil, biotech, pharmaceutical, environmental, energy, nanotechnology, and many many more.Students from our department have also gone into law, medicine, and journalism after completing their undergraduate degrees.
What Our Alums Do: Meet Ms. Annika Skov
Chemical engineers are also using their unique skills to help address current COVID-19 pandemic. Whether it is through the fabrication of new ventilators and masks or mathematically modeling viral biomolecular processes to identify drug targets, chemical engineers are on the front lines. You can see some of the contributions that our department is making here.
The UConn chemical engineering experience for our undergraduates is quite comprehensive, allowing for the possibility to tune your major via via a number of different minors or studying abroad while also picking up a second degree.
We look forward to answering your questions and our live Q&A's which will be held on
- Monday April 20th at 5:30 pm
- Tuesday April 21st at 6 pm
- Thursday April 23rd at 6 pm
Registration information for the Q&A will be provided to all admitted students.
We hope that you are able to join us and look forward to meeting you.
- Professor Anson Ma Named Air Force Faculty FellowThe Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department would like to congratulate Professor Anson Ma on receiving this prestigious fellowship. More information regarding this fellowship and how it relates to his research can be found here.
- UConn scientists working to develop first of its kind ventilatorCheck out the amazing work being done by CBE Prof. Jeffrey McCutcheon and his team to help with the COVID-19 crisis.
- Prof. Radenka Maric Recognized for 2020 Women in Business AwardCBE Professor and UConn Vice President for Research, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Radenka Maric, has been recognized by the Hartford Business Journal with a 2020 Women in Business Award, along with 14 other amazing women. The reasons she was particularly chosen for this honor are described here. Congratulations Radenka to you and all of your […]
- Modeling SARS-CoV-2 to help fight COVID-19Read about Prof. Ranjan Srivastava's efforts to battle COVID-19. He is mathematically modeling the coronavirus life cycle to identify what drugs might be most effective in treating the disease. The full article is available here.
- Time Together, Time Apart: Embracing Uncertainty and Boundless CreativityCBE Professor and UConn Vice President for Research, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Radenka Maric, has a thoughtful and inspiring article here that we thought we would share.