Anson W. K. Ma
Ph.D., University of Cambridge (2009)
- Structure, rheology, and processing of complex fluids
- Inkjet and 3D printing
Visiting Professor on Sabbatical, Unilever and Yale University (2017 – 2018)
Site Director, National Science Foundation (NSF) Additive Manufacturing Center (SHAP3D)
Technical Council Member, America’s Flexible Hybrid Electronics Manufacturing Institute (NextFlex)
Area Chair, 22A Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting (2013 – Present)
Member: American Chemical Society, AIChE, Materials Research Society, Society of Rheology, British Society of Rheology, Institute of Physics
Current Research Group
|Postdoctoral Fellows||Graduate Students|
|Dr. Michelle Li
Dr. Xiaoguang Peng
Dr. Lina Baroudi
Dr. Kavin Kowsari
The common theme of Dr. Ma’s research group, Complex Fluids Laboratory (CFL), at UConn is to understand the microstructure and rheology (flow behavior) of complex fluids, thereby developing novel, scalable techniques for processing these fluids into useful articles. Of particular interest are fundamental rheology problems with technological importance. Four main lines of research include:
- Developing Next-Generation Inkjet and 3D Printing for Additive Manufacturing
- The Rheology and Microstructure of Nanoparticles at Fluid-Fluid Interfaces
- Flow Dynamics and Transport of Nanoparticles in Biological Fluids
- Phase Behavior and Rheology of Fluids Containing Nanoparticles
|2009 – 2011||J. Evans Attwell-Welch fellowship, Richard E. Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Rice University (USA)|
|2008 – 2009||Technical Consultant, Paramata Ltd. (UK), Nanoholdings LLC (USA)|
|2003||Summer Intern, CLP Research Institute (Hong Kong)|
|2001||Summer Assistant, Air Products Asia Inc. (Hong Kong)|
Awards & Honors
|2017||Excellence in Research and Creativity: Early Career Award, American Association of University Professors (AAUP)-UConn Chapter|
|2016||3M Non-tenured Faculty Award, 3M Corporation|
|2015||Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, Society of Rheology,|
|2013||NSF CAREER award|
|2012||Distinguished Young Rheologist, TA Instruments|
|2009||J. Evans Attwell-Welch fellowship, Richard E. Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Rice University (USA)|
|2007||Messel Travel Bursary, The Society of Chemical Industry (UK)|
|2006||Fellow, Cambridge Philosophical Society (UK)|
|2005||Croucher Foundation Scholarship (Hong Kong)|
|2005||Honorary Scholar, Cambridge Overseas Trust (UK)|
|2005||Fellow, Cambridge Overseas Society (UK)|
|2005||Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS) Scholarship (UK)|
Book Chapter: Ma, A. W. K., F. Chinesta, Chapter 8 – Carbon nanotube composite reinforcements, in P. Boisse (ed.) Composite reinforcements for optimum performance: fundamentals, properties and modelling, Woodhead publishing, Cambridge, UK (2011). ISBN 1 84569 965 3; ISBN-13: 978 1 84569 965 9.
- A. Shen, S. B. Kim, C. Bailey, A. W. K. Ma, S. Dardona. Direct write fabrication of platinum-based thick-film resistive temperature detectors. IEEE Sensors J., 18(22), 9105 – 9111.
- S. Patere, B. Newman, Y. Wang, S. Choi, S. Vora, A. W. K. Ma, M. Jay, X. Lu. Influence of manufacturing process variables on the properties of ophthalmic ointments of Tobramycin. Pharmaceutical Research, 35, 179 (2018).
- A. Shen, D. Caldwell, A. W. K. Ma, S. Dardona. Direct write fabrication of high-density parallel silver interconnects. Additive Manufacturing, 22, 343-350 (2018).
- A. Shen, C. P. Bailey, A. W. K. Ma, S. Dardona. UV-assisted direct write of polymer-bonded magnets. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 462, 220-225 (2018).
- E. J. Carboni, B. H. Bognet, D. B. Cowles, A. W. K. Ma. The margination of particles in areas of constricted blood flow. Biophysical Journal, 114, 2221-2230 (2018).
- S. R. Vora, B. Bognet, H. S. Patanwala, C. D. Young, S.-Y. Chang, V. Daux, A. W. K. Ma. Global strain field mapping of a particle-laden interface using digital image correlation. J. Colloid and Interface Sci., 509, 94-101 (2018)
- H. Patanwala, D. Hong, S. R. Vora, B. Bognet, A. W. K. Ma. The microstructure and mechanical properties of 3D printed carbon nanotube-polylactic acid composites. Polymer Composites, 39(S2), E1060-E1071 (2018).
- O. Kleinerman, M. Adnan, D. Marincel, A. W. K. Ma, E. A. Bengio, C. Park, S.-H. Chu, M. Pasquali, Y. Talmon. Dissolution and characterization of Boron Nitride Nanotubes in superacid. Langmuir, 33, 14310-14346 (2017).
- Guo, H. Patanwala, B. H. Bognet, A. W. K. Ma. The physics of inkjet and inkjet-based 3D printing. Rapid Prototyping, 23(3), 562-576 (2017).
- J. Carboni, B. H. Bognet, G. M. Bouchillon, A. L. Kadilak, L. M. Shor, M. D. Ward, A. W. K. Ma. Direct tracking of particles and quantification of margination in blood flow. Biophysical Journal, 111(7), 1487-1495 (2016).
- Chen, X. Ma, Q. Dong, D. Song, D. Hargrove, S. Vora, A. W. K. Ma, X. Lu, Y. Lei. Self-healing of thermal-induced, biocompatible and biodegradable protein hydrogel. RSC Advances, 6, 56183-56192 (2016).
- E. Tsentalovich, A. W. K. Ma, J. A. Lee, N. Behabtu, E. A. Bengio, A. Choi, J. Hao, Y. Luo, R. J. Headrick, M. J. Green, Y. Talmon, M. Pasquali. Relationship of extensional viscosity and liquid crystalline transition to length distribution in carbon nanotube solutions. Macromolecules, 49(2), 681-689 (2016).
- Bognet, Y. Guo, A. W. K. Ma. Controlling system components with a sound card: A versatile inkjet fluid testing platform. Rev. Sci. Int., 87, 015101 (2016).
- R. Vora, B. Bognet, H. S. Patanwala, F. Chinesta, A. W. K. Ma. Surface pressure and microstructure of carbon nanotubes at an air–water interface. Langmuir, 31(16), 4663 – 4672 (2015)
For latest and full list of publications, please visit: http://ma.engr.uconn.edu/