Graduate Admissions

To apply for graduate studies in the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering:

  1. You must first apply online to the Graduate School at the University of Connecticut. It is preferred that you apply online at the UConn Graduate School website.  The online application fee is $75.
  2. You must hold a B.A./B.S. degree from an accredited college or university.
  3. You must submit official transcripts to the Graduate School covering your entire previous academic work (both undergraduate and graduate).  Except in exceptional circumstances, to be considered for admission to a graduate degree or certificate program, a student’s prior coursework must meet one of the following criteria:
    • A cumulative GPA for their most recent degree of 3.0 or higher for the entire degree, or
    • If the most recent degree is an undergraduate degree or the student has not yet completed their undergraduate degree:
      • A GPA of 3.0 or higher for the entire two most recent years of full-time undergraduate coursework, or
      • A GPA of 3.5 or higher for the entire most recent year of full-time undergraduate coursework, or
    • If a student has taken at least one semester of full-time study following the completion of the most recent undergraduate or graduate degree, a GPA of 3.0 or higher for all of their post-degree coursework.
  4. International applicants must earn a minimum score of 79 (internet-based test), 550 (old paper-based test), or 22/30 on each of the listening, reading and writing sections (new paper-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).  A minimum score of 6.5 is required on the IELTS.  A minimum score of 53 is required on the PTE test.  A minimum score of 100 is required on the Duolingo test. We cannot make any decisions about your application without this information.  For the TOEFL, please submit official scores through ETS.  Our University code is 3915.  A departmental code is not needed to submit scores.  Please contact the test center at which you took the IELTS test to request that your scores be sent to the University of Connecticut.  To send PTE scores, please login to your PTE account and follow the directions for sending your scores through their portal.
  5. For all Ph.D. and M.S. applicants applying for the Spring and Fall 2023 semesters, GRE scores are NOT part of our admissions process and will not be considered.
  6. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to your online application.  If you attended an international university and have one set of original documents or diploma, you can mail them to The Graduate School and they will make a copy and return the original document(s) to you.  Please attach an International Transcripts Cover Sheet with your submission. If you submitted these documents when applying for admission to a university in the US that you currently attend, we will accept copies from the registrar or graduate school if they certify that these documents from your prior university were made from the originals. Official transcripts should be mailed to our Graduate School for verification purposes.
    • The Graduate School
      University of Connecticut
      Whetten Graduate Center
      438 Whitney Road Extension, Unit 1152
      Storrs, CT 06269-1152
  7. All applicants must arrange in advance to have at least 3 letters of recommendation submitted on their behalf to complete their application.  To ensure the timely completion of applications, students are encouraged to reach out to their references to inform them of the application deadline.
  8. All applicants must submit a personal statement of purpose. You should include your reasons for undertaking graduate work, your ultimate plans, and how you happened to select your desired field.  Details about your preparation, your strengths and weaknesses as a student, and any academic honors, scholarships, or fellowships you have received will be helpful as well.

    Recommended deadline for submitting the completed applications are as follows:

    • January 1 for both full-time M.S. and Ph.D. applications for Fall admission.  Late applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until all openings are filled.
    • October 1 for both full-time M.S. and Ph.D. applications for Spring admission.  Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for Fall admission since Spring admission is not routinely considered.

    Financial Aid

    Applicants who seek financial aid must indicate so in the appropriate section of the graduate admissions application form. It is the policy of the department to provide financial aid to all full-time graduate students enrolled in the Ph.D. program, throughout their tenure of study.  Plan A master’s students may also be considered for support based upon the availability of funds.  An attractive benefits package, including discounted medical and dental coverage, is also provided.

    Awards are based on academic merit and include graduate assistantships (for teaching or research), university pre-doctoral fellowships, dissertation fellowships, industrial fellowships, and summer fellowships.

    All offers of financial aid will be made in writing, usually at the time admission is offered.

    Duties associated with teaching assistantships require approximately 10-20 hours per week and may include grading homework assignments, leading discussion sections, reviewing problem sets with students, and supervising undergraduates in the laboratory. Research assistantships and fellowships are somewhat more flexible. Summer research work for additional compensation beyond that normally paid for teaching and/or research duties during the usual academic year frequently is available.

    U.S. Student Visa Sponsorship

    If you are an international student who requires U.S. student visa sponsorship by the University of Connecticut, please be prepared to submit an immigration document request to the Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office. This will be sent to you after you have been admitted by the Graduate School.

    Please be prepared to submit the following documents to the ISSS Office after you have been admitted:

    1. Financial Declaration Form
    2. Proof of Support
    3. Copy of Support

    Once you have been admitted by the Graduate School, you will be sent a link to request an immigration document where you will be required to upload the materials mentioned above.

    Should you have any questions about the required materials, please contact the ISSS Office (


    Any offer of admission and financial aid will be made in writing and must be accepted within the period of time stated in the offer letter.

    Contact & Mailing Information

    More information can be found on our FAQ. Requests for any other additional information for the Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Program should be directed to:

    Dr. Matthew Stuber
    Chair, Graduate Committee
    Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
    University of Connecticut
    191 Auditorium Rd., Unit 3222
    Storrs, CT 06269-3222

    Graduate Program Secretary: Katie O’Keefe
    Phone: (860) 486-4019