About Our Program

Q. What is the first year experience like?
A. Many first year students perform teaching assistant duties (principally grading homework papers or supervising in the senior Chemical Engineering laboratory) for at least one semester, depending upon the department’s needs. Assistantship duties usually require about 10-20 hours per week.

Q. What is the ratio of Ph.D. to M.S. students?
A. Typically, over 95% of the admission offers are given to prospective applicants who chose the direct Ph.D.

Q. Is a thesis required for an MS degree?
A. There is a non-thesis option available for the MS degree. This option is available only to self-supporting students. A minimum of 30 credit hours of course work (including 3-6 credit hours of independent study) are required for this option. Students receiving financial support from the department must elect the thesis option (15 credit hours of course work plus thesis) for the MS degree. However, an MS degree is not a prerequisite for the Ph.D. degree.

Q. Can I do a part-time graduate degree?
A. Part-time programs are possible. However, a number of graduate courses are scheduled throughout the day. The department regularly offers late afternoon courses.


Q. How much do I get paid?
A. All of our Ph.D. students enjoy stipends of $25,500 to $29,800/year, depending on experience, as well as full medical benefits.

Can I defer the application fee until I am admitted?
A.The application fee cannot be deferred or waived under any application circumstances. It is the policy of the Graduate School that the fee be received along with all other required documents before that application is released to the department for evaluation. Applications received without the fee are held in the Graduate Admissions Office.

Q. On what basis are admissions decisions made?
A.These are based on evaluation of your complete undergraduate (and/or graduate) record, GRE scores and letters of recommendation. There is no set minimum GRE requirement; each candidate is evaluated individually by a departmental faculty committee that has the authority to make admission recommendations to the Graduate School. Note that the department requires a score of 550 on the TOEFL and 4.0 on the TWE for international students.

Q. Will you consider my application without my final semester’s transcripts ?
A.If you otherwise meet the qualifications for the department, you will be accepted, pending receipt of your final transcripts. The same is true of financial aid requests.

Q. Is Spring Semester admission possible?
A.Spring admissions with financial aid are rare but possible. Decisions are made on a case by case basis.

Q. What is the deadline for accepting an offer of admission?
A.The standard deadline for accepting an offer of admission is April 15. However, we would appreciate your letting us know of your acceptance decision as soon as possible. This will enable us to equitably distribute our financial aid to all qualified applicants. For international applicants the deadline is March 15.

Q. What if I have a non-chemical engineering undergraduate degree?
A. Applicants with a non-chemical engineering undergraduate degree should complete our scientist to engineer program.

Financial Aid

Q. Is it necessary to submit a separate application for financial aid?
A. No. All students who indicate a need for financial aid on the application for admission to the Graduate School will automatically be considered.

Q. Can I be considered for a tuition scholarship instead of financial aid?

A. Such scholarships are available but are quite rare. Administration of these scholarships is under the jurisdiction of the Graduate School, not the Department of Chemical Engineering.

Q. Is financial aid possible without a degree in chemical engineering?
A. All requests for financial aid are evaluated on an individual basis. We expect that a large majority of students offered financial aid beginning in their first year of graduate study will be those with BS or MS degrees in chemical engineering. However, outstanding students with BS or MS degrees in other disciplines, such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, physics, materials science, mechanical engineering, etc., may also qualify for financial aid in their first year of graduate study. Some students lacking a degree in chemical engineering may be offered admission with reduced financial aid until they have taken the suggested undergraduate courses (up to 6) necessary to enter the graduate level courses in the department.

Q. What are the tuition charges and additional fees?
A. Graduate students who are awarded graduate assistantships from the department do not pay tuition. For all others see the current tuition amounts on through the Bursar’s office.

International Students

Q. What is the English Language Proficiency Exam?
A. As an international student you are required to pass an English language proficiency exam before beginning your coursework. Should you fail the exam, you will be required to take an English language course (which may involve a fee). Failure to pass the exam a second time will render you ineligible for further financial support as a teaching assistant. A grade point average of 3.0 (B) or above must also be maintained throughout your graduate studies to continue receiving financial support.


Q. What housing accommodations are available to me?
A. The University of Connecticut has three graduate student residence halls and the Hilltop Suites. Most graduate students, however, choose off-campus housing (rented rooms, apartments, and houses) available in the surrounding communities. Please visit UConn housing, for more information.

Q. How do I commute to the campus if I live off-campus?
A. The UConn Shuttle bus and the Windham bus service offer transportation to local area communities.